什么是复合名词?在这里，我们将近距离观察复合名词，这样当你看到它们时就能认出它们，另外，我们将为你提供一些复合名词的例子，帮助你有效地使用它们。What are compound nouns? Here, we’ll take an up-close look at compound nouns so you can recognize them when you see them, plus we’ll provide you with some compound noun examples that will help you use them effectively.
复合名词是指人、动物、地点、事物或思想，由两个或两个以上的单词组成。大多数复合名词是由被形容词或其他名词修饰过的名词构成的。Compound nouns are words for people, animals, places, things, or ideas, made up of two or more words. Most compound nouns are made with nouns that have been modified by adjectives or other nouns.
在许多复合名词中，第一个词描述或修饰第二个词，让我们了解一件东西是什么，或为我们提供关于这个东西的用途的线索。第二个词通常用来标识物品。In many compound nouns, the first word describes or modifies the second word, giving us insight into what kind of thing an item is, or providing us with clues about the item’s purpose. The second word usually identifies the item.
复合名词有时是一个词，比如牙膏、理发或卧室。这些通常被称为闭或实的复合名词。Compound nouns are sometimes one word, like toothpaste, haircut, or bedroom. These are often referred to as closed or solid compound nouns.
有时复合名词用连字符连接:dry cleaning，儿媳和well-being就是用连字符连接的复合名词的例子。Sometimes compound nouns are connected with a hyphen: dry-cleaning, daughter-in-law, and well-being are some examples of hyphenated compound nouns.
有时复合名词以两个单独的单词出现:full moon, Christmas tree, and swimming pool就是由两个单独的单词组成的复合名词的例子。这些通常被称为开放的或间隔的复合名词。Sometimes compound nouns appear as two separate words: full moon, Christmas tree, and swimming pool are some examples of compound nouns that are formed with two separate words. These are often referred to as open or spaced compound nouns.
你读得越多，写得越多，你就会遇到更多复合名词的例子。下面的句子只是复合名词的几个例子。复合名词的例句已用斜体表示，以方便辨认。The more you read and write, the more compound noun examples you’ll encounter. The following sentences are just a few examples of compound nouns. Compound noun examples have been italicized for easy identification.
Let’s just wait at this bus stop.
I love watching fireflies on warm summer nights.
While you’re at the store, please pick up some toothpaste, a six-pack of ginger ale, and some egg rolls.
Let’s watch the full moon come up over the mountain.
Please erase the blackboard for me.
Be sure to add bleach to the washing machine.
Let’s be sure to stay somewhere with a swimming pool.
He always gets up before sunrise.
I really could use an updated hairstyle.
Checkout is at noon.
Please remember to schedule your dog’s annual check-up.
My mother-in-law is the kindest person I know.
Do you believe in past lives?
This city is vibrant, so it’s hard to believe it has a thriving criminal underworld.
We need a truckful of mulch for the garden.
Choose the word that makes each of these nouns into a compound noun.
- Fund __________ (A – driver, B – seat, C – raiser)
- News __________ (A– paper, B – story, C – travels)
- Sun ____________ (A– day, B – glasses, C – heat)
- Child ___________ (A – hood, B – ren, C – play)
- Door ___________ (A– frame, B – handle, C – way)
Fill in the blanks to complete each compound noun, or with the one-word compound noun that fits best.
- Prevent a heart _________ by eating properly and getting enough exercise. (A – stroke, B –attack, C – murmur)
- Do you prefer peppermint or cinnamon flavored _____________? (A– cookies, B – toothpaste, C – applesauce)
- The full ___________ looked enormous as it rose over the horizon. (A – moon, B – sun, C –sunset)
- I’m going to the barber for a _____________. (A – trim, B – new style, C – haircut)
- They’re digging a new swimming ____________ in the park. (A – suit, B – pool, C – game)
- I’d love to learn to pilot an ____________(A–boat, B – airplane, C – submarine)
- One reason donuts are fattening is that they’re fried in cooking _____. (A – oil, B – sugar, C –pans)
- Sherrie is upset because she lost an ______________. (A – input, B – earring, C – friendship)
- We put a ____________ in the garden to chase birds away.(A – runway, B – sunshade, C –scarecrow)
- 15.I’ve got to pick up a package at the post ___________. (A – man, B – office, C – book)